APRIL UPDATE OF NEW CDs
by Russell Hawkins
The sun is shining and spring is well and truly here. Time for my Easter update on all recent CD releases…
My highlight for this month has to be three wonderful releases from John Yap at Jay Records… all available directly from www.jayrecords.com before their official release dates. They are the following:
One Touch of Venus – First Full Studio Cast Recording (Jay Records)
Over 10 years in the making, this first full studio cast recording of Kurt Weill and Ogden Nash’s lavish score for their 1943 musical. Starring an array of Broadway talent including Melissa Errico, Brent Barrett, Ron Raines, Victoria Clark, Judy Kaye, Lauren Worsham and Michael “Tuba” McKinsey backed by a full symphony orchestra! Hear the complete score plus two cut songs: “Vive La Difference” and “Who Am I?”. Simply stunning!!!
- The Last Session – Original London Cast (Jay Records)
A new and impacting musical with music and lyrics by Steve Schlalchlin. The recording features the original 2012 Tristan Bates Theatre cast: Darren Day, Simone Craddock, A J Dean, Ron Emslie, Lucy Vandi.
- Himself & Nora – Original Off-Broadway Cast (Jay Records)
The Story of James Joyce and Nora Barnacle by Joanthan Brielle, starring Matt Bogart and Jessica Burrows.
Whilst on the subject of Jay Records, last year they released a superb recording of the new version of Maltby & Shire’s Closer Than Ever. This production will make it London debut at the Jermyn Street Theatre this May starring Graham Bickley, Sophie Louise Dann, Issy van Randwyck and Arvid Larson. Book your tickets now!!!
- Andy Capp – Original London Cast (Stage Door Records)
1982 West End musical featuring Tom Courtenay. Re-mastered from original master tapes.
- A Gentleman’s Guide to Love & Murder – Original Broadway Cast (Ghostlight Records)
Steven Lutvak and Robert L. Freedman score.
- Brigadoon/ Kiss Me Kate – Studio Cast (Masterworks Broadway)
Soundtracks from the television broadcasts – 1966’s Brigadoon starring Robert Goulet & Sally Ann Howes and 1968’s Kiss Me Kate starring Robert Goulet & Carol Lawrence. Only available from www.MasterworksBroadway.com
- Jeepers Creepers – Great Songs from Horror Films (Kritzerland Records)
Famous movie songs sung by Brent Barrett, Judy Kaye, Rebecca Luker, Alison Fraser, Christiane Noll and Michelle Nicastro. Only available from www.Kritzerland.com
- Love on 42nd Street (DLC Music)
Original music by British composers Daniel and Laura Curtis performed by Broadway and West End star including Lea Salonga, Samantha Barks, Simon Bowman, Sierra Boggess, John Owen-Jones, Ramin Karimloo and Katy Treharne. Only available from www.DressCircle.com
- Going Up – A Musical Farce in Three Acts (Operetta Foundation)
New studio cast recording of score for 1917 Broadway show. Music by Louis Hirsch, lyrics by Otto Hauerbach. Only available at www.OperettaFoundation.org
- Fun Home – Original Off-Broadway Recording (PS Classics)
Original cast recording with score by Jeanine Tesori, with a cast featuring Michael Cerveris and Judy Kuhn.
- Yank! – Studio Cast Recording (PS Classics)
David and Joseph Zellnik score, orchestrated by Jonathan Tunick.
- Big Fish – Original Broadway Cast (Broadway Records)
Score by Andrew Lippa featuring Norbert Leo Butz and Kate Baldwin.
- Cinerama Holiday – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (Sepia Records)
1955 original soundtrack, released for the first time on CD. Re-mixed from the movie audio tapes with music from the studio recording issued on the LP. Morton Gould score.
- Samson and Delilah – 2014 Concept Recording (Broadway Records)
Music and lyrics by Ron Yatter, former William Morris agent featuring Ace Young and Diana DeGarmo.
- The Wizard of Oz – 75th Anniversary Anthology (Sepia Records)
Sepia Records collection featuring extracts from the 1939 soundtrack, recorded by Judy Garland, Harold Arlen and popular performers of the day. Most were made to promote the movie on “live” radio broadcasts.
- Here Lies Love – Original Off-Broadway Cast (Nonsuch Records)
New cast recording of Public Theatre musical featuring David Byrne/Fatboy Slim score.
- Funny Girl – Original Broasway Cast 50th Anniversary Edition (Capitol Records)
Jule Styne/Bob Merrill score featuring Barbra Streisand. Digitally remastered CD with 48-page book featuring exclusive photos from the 1964 production and a new essay by Jay Landers.
- The A – Z of Mrs P – Original London Cast (SimG Records)
New musical recently seen at the Southwark Playhouse written by singer/composer Gwyneth Herbert and playwright/author Diane Samuels. The cast features Isy Suttie, Frances Ruffelle, Michael Matus and Stuart Matthew Price. Only available from www.Simgproductions.com
- Ushers – The Front of House Musical – Original Cast (SimG Records)
This new British musical was a finalist in the WestEndProducer’s Twitter ‘Search For A Composer’ Competition, played a try-out run at the Hope Theatre, and transferred at the Charing Cross Theatre, London. Only available from www.Simgproductions.com
- Jo Stafford – Live in London 1959 (Sepia Records)
Live performances at the London Palladium in 1959 to an invited audience which was taped for a TV special. First time on CD!
- Ramon Karimloo – The Road to Find Out: East (Big Hand Recordings)
EP from leading UK performer and current Broadway Jean Valjean. Available from www.DressCircle.com
- Alison Fraser – Tennessee Williams: Words & Music (Ghostlight Records)
Alison Fraser, based on her concert show. “… the soundtrack of Tennessee Williams’s life” with songs and text from Williams’ plays, including A Streetcar Named Desire (“It’s Only A Paper Moon”), This Property is Condemned (Gene Autry’s “You’re the Only Star”), Clothes for a Summer Hotel (Noël Coward’s “The Party’s Over Now”) and Something Cloudy, Something Clear (Oscar-winning “Sweet Leilani”).
- Sherie Rene Scott – All Will Be Well (Ghostlight Records)
Broadway star Sherie Rene Scott sings songs by Joni Mitchell, Paul McCartney, Talking Heads, Pete Townshend, Annie Lennox, Dire Straights, Buddy Holly, Kate Bush and Noah & The Whale.
- Jarrod Spector – A Little Help From My Friends: Live from 54 Below (Broadway Records)
Broadway performer live album from his act at 54 Below, NYC.
- Time for Judy Canova – The Rare Recordings 1928 – 1962 (Sepia Records)
27 rare tracks first time on CD, by the vaudeville, Broadway, radio and film comedienne-actress-singer.
- Lea Michele – Louder (Columbia)
Star of TV’s Glee & Broadway’s Spring Awakening debut solo album.
- Billy Porter – Back on Broadway (Concord Records)
Billy Porter start of Broadway’s ‘Kinky Boots’ sings showtunes, including a duet with Cyndi Lauper.
- Shirley Jones & Jack Cassiday – Marriage Type Love (Masterworks Broadway)
Debut release of this duets album announced and recorded in 1959, but never released. With Marty Gold and His Orchestra. Only available from www.MasterworksBroadway.com
- Curtis Stigers – Hooray for Love (Concord Records)
Curtis Stigers’ 11th solo album features classics from the Great American Songbook.